How can we improve The British Newspaper Archive?

Please return usable interface!

The new interface as of May 16, 2017 (US Pacifc) is practically unusable. The old interface worked quite well; the new one lost features: I am no longer able to drag the page into position, nor can I zoom in and out with the mouse wheel.

22 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmm, I just wondered if in fact BNA (and/or Chrome?) is actually detecting that a touch screen is available somehow, and switching behaviour. So I checked, and when the full screen appears, you CAN in fact pan using the touch screen - which is good - but you can't use pinch-to-zoom, only double-tap to zoom in, and to zoom out again you have to tap or click the zoom out button. It's certainly nowhere near as good as e.g. Edge, which lets you use both the mouse and touch screen to pan and zoom smoothly and freely. I prefer Chrome, but maybe I'll have to jump ship to Edge!

Well, I've found what's causing it - my touch-screen! I have Dell XPS 15-9560 with 4K touch screen, and I just had a hunch it might be the touch screen. So I disabled it (using Windows device manager, selecting "Human Interface Devices" then disabling each "USB Input Device" in turn until the touch-screen stopped working) and lo and behold, that fixed the BNA viewer problem! The viewer stays in the initial webpage view, displays the navigator "cross" menu at top left, doesn't switch immediately into the full page with stupid little "back/desktop/fullpage/zoom in/zoom out" buttons, and everything works as it should. Re-enable the touch screen, and the problem returns. Sadly, I really like my touch screen and use it a lot, so this isn't really a practical solution. It seems as though BNA's viewer script (brightviewer.js) is getting confused by the touch-screen presence. I'm not a javascript expert, but will keep experimenting until I find a better solution. In the meantime, other browsers (such as Edge in Windows 10) don't seem to have this problem, and work fine, which also confirms that it's not a hard" fault with BNA so much as an incompatibility of some sort. Hopefully BNA will fix it at some point...

I've experienced this - the viewer goes straight to the "full screen" view, but without any navigation controls that work, so is virtually unusable. However, I think in this instance it IS "my" problem, or rather an issue with my machine or browser. rather than something that BNA have done, because when I view a BNA page in Chrome on my old WIn7 laptop, it works fine, but running it on my new Win10 machine, with the same version of Chrome except that it's 64-bit, it doesn't work. So it's something to do with the machine differences - Chrome 32-bit v 64-bit; Win7 32-bit v Win10 64-bit; high DPI screen with scaling enabled; or something about my Widows installation and other software (Java/JavaScript/libraries etc.). If I can pin down which difference is causing the problem I'll let you know! But I'm confident that it's not a BNA fault (though they ought to be able to help identify the cause) because it's still working fine on my old machine. As you say, BNA is virtually unusable with this problem.

• Manjunath kadurManjunath kadur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hire Packers and Movers Indore
        August 11, 2017
        Hire Packers and Movers Indore / Top Packers And Movers India

In accordance with the statistics, there's was a substantial rise on the number of people relocating to various cities and even nations. Reasons to relocate vary from one individual to another, while practitioners move to metropolitan cities for much better job chances, couples proceed out from metropolis to a relaxing lifestyle near to nature. Believe it or not, regardless of the pollution, heavy traffic, and busy neighborhoods, half a million individuals relocate in LA since it is the center of business, commerce and entertainment. Relocating to LA became a great deal simpler nowadays as a result of numerous airlines providing regular flights into LA and storage and movers suppliers providing efficient transport solutions.

In spite of the reason to relocate, professional services of travel agents and packers and shuttles help to relocated comfortably to\/from Los Angeles. While professional movers efficiently manage all the jobs right from packing to providing your goods, travel agents help get you the most acceptable travel deals for airport transfers, accommodation and flights in accordance with your spending budget, time and comfort. A lot people, particularly those who're relocating for the very first time, would consider hiring the professional services of packers and movers in addition to travel agents as an extra expense of hiring professionals, but the truth is just its reverse.

While transferring your products or office furniture, their safety and security are major concern. Regardless of where you're relocating, however into have peace of mind that your valuables have been adequately packed to withstand unforeseen weather conditions and inter transit accidental damages. In the today's time, relocation became a more necessity for experts than a desire. As every year millions of individuals relocate inside the same country and overseas, state-of the art packaging equipments and carriers have come into the scene into simplify the jobs of packaging goods safely and manage them with care during transit. Now-a days, there are Number of containers of various materials and size to keep things according to their sizes and requirements. Professional packing and packaging service suppliers have adequate manpower and provide them with sufficient packaging material and hi technology devices into skillfully pack things competently in a couple of hours which would otherwise take an amount of days or weeks, yet cannot be done impeccably. They send a team of workers directed by a supervisor to assure everything, from packing to loading, works smoothly and in time. Professional moving companies not only pack things wisely, but offer insurance cover as well.In Packers and Movers In Indore
        https://best5packersmovers.com/packers-movers-by-city/indore

• Manjunath kadurManjunath kadur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this problem too. I can no longer drag the page or zoom into the article I want. So it's unreadable. In your recent Webinar programme we were told to use the Navigation Control but there isn't one. PLEASE help or I too will have to end my subscription.

'Search Terms' - the formerly useful highlighting of search text in page images does not function in the new interface (neither Firefox 53.0.3 nor IE11)

I have the same problem, they are basically telling me its a problem with me and not them. I cannot view what I want to see, It is now uttterly useless to me so cancelling my sub!

Feedback and Knowledge Base