British language newspapers from the British Empire and foreign countries (India, China, Japan)
In the 19C, my family were spread around the Empire. They appear in newspapers from India: Allen's India Mail on books.google after a fashion; China: The North China Herald on BNA at www.findmypast; Japan: Japan Weekly Mail (snippet views ONLY on books.google); Kenya: The Kenya Gazette (ONLY on books.google); South Africa is particularly badly served in terms of bmd & a newspaper would be very useful.
I'd like to see Times of India!
This would be very valuable indeed. Some other relevant titles might include:
- 'The China Express' (1858-59) > 'The London and China Express' (1859-1921)
- 'The China Telegraph' (1858-59) > 'The London and China Telegraph' (1859-1921)
- 'The China Express and Telegraph' (1922-1931)
- 'The English News' (a summary of European, British colonial & American news for the South African colonies, etc., 1861-1868)
- 'The Cape and Natal News' (a monthly record of the progress of the South African colonies, 1858-1879)
l. arkley commented
I'd love to see Times of Ceylon included.
Any colonial newspaper which includes South Africa would be greatly appreciated.
J Pillarisetti commented
Should this be "India Times" or the more appropriate "Times of India"? There is no newspaper with the name India Times as far as I know
I agree. We need to increase the BL's digitised newspaper coverage of Colonial papers -- but I would suggest India and Ceylon should be a priority over South Africa (since S.A. has a good -- and relatively accesible -- national archives system).
I agree with the above comments. These newspapers are invaluable when other genealogical information sources (ie., census, BMD data) are not available.
The Times of India and Times of Ceylon are the best sources for such information in South Asia and I would like to see them added.