Website improvements

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Background Information

I would love it if there was some general information about each of the papers available. So while doing research I can see where that paper was published, when, the types of articles it published, and frequent contributors. It's important to know the paper's biases for historical research, and it would be nice not to have to look that all up elsewhere.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Next/previous day

Provide a forward/backward button when viewing a page so that you can skip to the same page in the next/previous day of the same publication

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Pending - For future development  ·  0 comments  ·  feedback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Volunteers

There are (understandably) a lot of errors in the text. Allow volunteers to proof read transcriptions and compare to the image for errors. To ensure this isn't used to bypass subscription you can randomly generate which pages are proof read.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Pending - For future development  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Improve viewer layout to make it easier to navigate

I prefer the page layout used by Gale News Vault. It makes it much easier to scroll through a news article. The default window in BNA is too small, and changing to full page view makes it very difficult to navigate the page.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  feedback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Daily indication of latest additions

It would be useful to show every day which years have been added or expanded the previous night, perhaps simply by showing the relevant year date in bold.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Pending - For future development  ·  0 comments  ·  feedback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Please include a sample page of every newspaper.

The quality was not the best when I tried the site.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Make sure uploaded papers don't disappear

I notice that previous feedback refers to the falling number of newspapers available during the WWI period. I have had a similar problem today, in that one previously accessed newspaper (London Daily News, 22.08.1891) appears to have completely vanished from your site. I accessed it on the 24th February this year, but because the quality of the downloaded PDF was not great (another minor gripe), I wanted to check the original, to no avail.

Can you clarify whether or not vanishing newspapers are a common problem? Is it just your database being temperamental, or are certain uploads only temporary? Thanks…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  feedback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. What is happening to the WW1 Newspaper count?

Hi, As an avid researcher I keep a close count of WW1 newspaper availability. These numbers inexplicably seem to be going down on a daily basis - what is going on as I can find no explanation. Thankyou

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Open - Under review  ·  0 comments  ·  feedback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Translate Welsh into English facility.

A translation facility to translate Welsh language newspaper articles etc into English.

George Middlehurst

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Combining BNA & FMP subscriptions

i have findmypast but choose to subscribe separately to the bna as it offers a much better search but why should i pay twice why not link thro to the bna site so we can do our own search within the fmp subscription?

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Pending - For future development  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. bookmarks

i have lots of bookmark files usually under a persons name but i cant find a way of choosing that one particular file to go into to access them can you make this clearer please in the website

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Pending - For future development  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. paste whole articles corrected text / wider editing box

Being able to cut and paste a whole corrected article in one go - not line by line. AND do check out ideas from NZ papers past Love your site THANKS!!!!

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Pending - For future development  ·  2 comments  ·  feedback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Incresase limits on page views.

"Unlimited" access to the site turns out to be just 3000 page views per month. Really not a lot when researching. At an average of 100 page views per day this could mean being able to view just half a dozen - or less - newspapers per day. Hardly unlimited, is it?

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Open - Ongoing process  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Freebies

From time to time Ancestry FMP do give 'Free Access' for a short time. I would like to see this happen with this site...... 'Australian Trove Newspapers' are totally FREE! 1803 - 1954 where i live and is disappointing not in UK.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Make it easier to download OR print just the article needed and not the whole page.

Make it easier to download just the article needed and not the whole page. See the NLA's TROVE site for example.

135 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    26 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. completed runs & dates / better visibility of what is online

Let us know in an easily found format the entire run of a paper or journal held in the National Archive and when it has all been copied and put on line.

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  feedback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Future Publication Schedule

How about posting a schedule of proposed releases of newspapers. I check the site most days for the areas of the country I am most interested in but a prior announcement of forthcoming newspapers would be useful.

72 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  feedback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 13 14 15 17 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Website improvements

Feedback and Knowledge Base