Website improvements

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. A Timeline, simple base line of world/UK event dates occurring at, or near the atricle date

Place the articles in some kind of timeline, a simple baseline graph idea would help I suppose. I don't have a plan but whenever I find an article concerning an ancestor it would help to picture the time he was living in - who was on the throne, world action concerning Britain etc.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Pending - For future development  ·  0 comments  ·  feedback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Subscription renewals

A decent way of renewing subscriptions, as you have a failed and useless system at present.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  feedback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The idea of making the number of days left on your subscription is a great one and we will add it to the list. Val – when a subscription renewal fails, it is usually because the card you used has expired and you’ve been issued with a new one. Get in touch with Customer Support for help adding a new card. We will look at adding a facility for you to add a new card yourself in future.

3. A button to get a random article

I would love a random button that would take me to a random article in the archives.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Pending - For future development  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Academic Citation

The BNA has become an invaluable tool for researchers. I'd like the ability to download a citation of the records in the common formats MLA, Chicago etc.Your database is likely to contain the required information such as source, date, page number and so on. Is there any chance of such a facility being added?

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Pending - For future development  ·  7 comments  ·  feedback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Next/previous day

Provide a forward/backward button when viewing a page so that you can skip to the same page in the next/previous day of the same publication

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Pending - For future development  ·  0 comments  ·  feedback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Volunteers

There are (understandably) a lot of errors in the text. Allow volunteers to proof read transcriptions and compare to the image for errors. To ensure this isn't used to bypass subscription you can randomly generate which pages are proof read.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Pending - For future development  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Daily indication of latest additions

It would be useful to show every day which years have been added or expanded the previous night, perhaps simply by showing the relevant year date in bold.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Translate Welsh into English facility.

A translation facility to translate Welsh language newspaper articles etc into English.

George Middlehurst

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Combining BNA & FMP subscriptions

i have findmypast but choose to subscribe separately to the bna as it offers a much better search but why should i pay twice why not link thro to the bna site so we can do our own search within the fmp subscription?

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. bookmarks

i have lots of bookmark files usually under a persons name but i cant find a way of choosing that one particular file to go into to access them can you make this clearer please in the website

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Pending - For future development  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. paste whole articles corrected text / wider editing box

Being able to cut and paste a whole corrected article in one go - not line by line. AND do check out ideas from NZ papers past Love your site THANKS!!!!

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Pending - For future development  ·  2 comments  ·  feedback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Freebies

From time to time Ancestry FMP do give 'Free Access' for a short time. I would like to see this happen with this site...... 'Australian Trove Newspapers' are totally FREE! 1803 - 1954 where i live and is disappointing not in UK.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Make it easier to download OR print just the article needed and not the whole page.

Make it easier to download just the article needed and not the whole page. See the NLA's TROVE site for example.

135 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    26 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Website improvements

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base